Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Other great records.

Honorable Mentions (in alphabetical order):

  • Alkaline Trio - From Here To Infirmary
  • Against Me! - As The Eternal Cowboy
  • The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
  • Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
  • Built To Spill - You In Reverse
  • Coldplay - X&Y
  • Common - Be
  • Death From Above 1979 - You’re A Woman, I’m A Machine
  • Elvis Costello - Secret, Profane & Sugarcane
  • The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robot
  • Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
  • Gavin Castleton - Home
  • Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Sank
  • Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
  • NOFX - War on Errorism
  • Outkast - Stankonia
  • The Postal Service - Give Up
  • Radiohead - (Insert whatever album)
  • The Roots - Phrenology
  • Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

There are a lot of great records on this list. For one reason or another I felt that these records didn’t do enough for me. Except Stankonia, I slightly regret not putting on the list. You may notice Alkaline Trio. You’re probably wondering, since they’re my favorite band, why the didn’t make the list. Well the answer is simple, Alkaline Trio just didn't have a better record than others. They don't really have strong albums, whereas they have strong collections of songs. Other albums worth noting: Fleet Foxes. My good friend Drew brought up how she felt that it was deserving of a higher place. Her argument was that it was just surprising that a record like that and a band like that could become popular. I say, no, its not surprising, just look at Crosby, Stills, and Nash. I guess ill just quickly explain my self on certain things:

  • I’ll defend Coldplay for a hot second. They’re great. I don’t care what you or Chuck Klosterman says. They can’t be this popular with out being ridiculously talented.
  • The Flaming Lips probably should have made it on the list.
  • Everyone should listen to Gavin Castleton
  • Common sucked after Be
  • I only put Radiohead on the honorable mention because Andrew Winslow would have a shit fit if I didn’t. Radiohead is good but not that good.
  • We Were Dead Before The Ship Sank is outrageously better than Good News For People Who Love Bad News.

Okay. Time for number one...


No comments:

Post a Comment